Illinois State Police releases activity results from the Thanksgiving travel period, which ran Nov. 22 through 29.
Officers helped stranded motorists, investigated crashes, and enforced the rules of the road. The ISP handled 9,609 incidents during the busy travel period.The incidents resulted in the following:
- Traffic stops, 6,972
- Total citations issued, 5,684
- Speeding citations, 3,429
- Seatbelt citations, 440
- Distracted driving citations, 81
- DUI arrests, 89
- Warnings issued, 4,461
- Commercial vehicle inspections, 765
- Motorists assisted, 794
- Crashes investigated, 505
Illinois roadways experienced one less fatality in 2017 than in 2016. There were 10 fatal crashes resulting in 10 fatalities during the 2017 Thanksgiving holiday weekend.