If you visit a bar in Ottawa over the next couple of weeks, make sure to look for the penguin.
Twelve bars are taking part in the third Icy Bar Challenge for the Penguin Plunge event, which supports Make-A-Wish Illinois.
Each of the participating bars will have a penguin-themed bank or fishbowl where patrons can toss in a donation toward the event. The bars will compete for a number of awards, according to organizer Brandon Miller.
The awards include the Icy Bar of the Year, which goes to the bar with the most money earned, Widest Waddle for the bar with the most plungers for the Penguin Plunge and The Bubbly Award for the bar with the most spirit and a crowd favorite.
Dockside Bar and Grill took home the top prize last year with the most money raised while Angels Pub had the most plungers and Tangled Roots held the most special events to raise money.
Some bars will also have their own specials over the next few days to encourage more donations to top the competition.
The bar participants and any associated specials or events are listed below.
The Icy Bar Challenge Participants
• Angels Pub, 401 W. Norris Drive, Ottawa, donating daily drink special sales.
• Berta's Tap, 616 Clinton St., Ottawa.
• Corner 230, 230 W. Madison St., Ottawa.
• Court Street Pub, 620 Court St., Ottawa, hosting a fundraising event Saturday.
• Dockside Bar and Grill, 1001 E. Main St., Ottawa.
• JJ's Pub, 104 W. Main St., Ottawa, hosting a fundraising night Friday, Jan. 18.
• Pine Hills Golf Club Bar and Restaurant, 1665 N. 2501st Road, Ottawa, diners can donate on their bills.
• Tangled Roots Brewing Company, 812 La Salle St., Ottawa.
• Muffy's Tap, 423 W. Madison St., Ottawa.
• Red Dog Grill, 970 N. 2753rd Road, Ottawa.
• Rosati's Pizza, 375 W. Stevenson Road, Ottawa, special donation drive to be announced.
• Shakers Lounge Sports Bar and Grill, 121 W. Stevenson Road, Ottawa.
This year's Penguin Plunge is set for Saturday, Jan. 19, and plungers as well as volunteers are still needed.
The event sees individuals and teams raising money for Make-A-Wish Illinois and then plunging themselves into cold waters at Heritage Harbor.
To register as a plunger or a volunteer, go to site.wish.org/penguinplunge19, and questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.