Digital Access

Digital Access
Access mywebtimes.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

News, features, sports, opinion and more!

Email Newsletters

Sign up for MyWebTimes email newsletters and stay in the know.
Local

Ottawa looks to raise Green Street for flood concerns

Green Street is closed off as rising floodwaters made travel unsafe in September 2008. The city of Ottawa is seeking grants to raise the street to mitigate the issue.
Green Street is closed off as rising floodwaters made travel unsafe in September 2008. The city of Ottawa is seeking grants to raise the street to mitigate the issue.

The city of Ottawa is looking into ways it can cost-effectively raise Green Street to avoid flooding concerns.

“This is a project that has been on our radar, to raise Green Street on the east edge of town so when we have a major flood the East Side does not become an island,” said Mayor Bob Eschbach. “It’s not a cheap project.”

The cost is estimated at about $400,000.

The city council gave the go-ahead to apply for a FEMA pre-disaster mitigation grant during Tuesday night’s council meeting that would pay 75 percent of the project, with the city footing the other 25 percent.

In other business, the council approved:

•Alex Spencer to the Playground and Recreation Board with a term ending July 2023.

•Annexed eight surrounding parcels of the Fields Hill subdivision.

•$19,500 to Grand Rapids Enterprises for a demolition at 515 Illinois Ave. paid for by grant proceeds, which will house a new lift station to replace the one currently in a floodplain to the south.

•The sale of 1203 Fulton St. for $1. The property was out for public bid but no interest was found. The agreement includes the new owner fixing issues with the roof and acquiring an occupancy permit within two years. Eschbach said the agreement helps get the property back on tax rolls rather than spend several thousand dollars to tear it down.

Loading more