The American Red Cross reports it is facing a severe blood shortage and urgently needs blood donors to give now to avoid delays in lifesaving medical care for patients. Volunteer blood drive hosts also are critically needed to prevent the shortage from worsening this winter.
During September and October, the Red Cross collected more than 21,000 fewer blood donations than what hospitals needed. Blood donors of all blood types, especially type O, are urged to make an appointment to donate. To make an appointment, download the free American Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit RedCrossBlood.org or call 800-733-2767.
Upcoming donation opportunities include:
• 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 29, Veterans of Foreign Wars Hall, 1501 La Salle St., Ottawa.
• 2 to 6 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 29, Sheridan Fire Department, 405 N. Bushnell St., Sheridan.
• Noon to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 4, Carpenters Local 195, 1001 Boyce Memorial Drive, Ottawa.
• Noon to 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 4, Illinois Valley Chapter Donation Center, 1530 Fourth St., Peru.
• 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 6, First Baptist Church, 1401 State St., Ottawa.
• 1:45 to 6 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 6, New Beginnings Baptist Church, 204 S. Monroe St., Streator.
• Noon to 5 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 6, First Congregational United Church of Christ, 255 E. Bluff St., Marseilles.
• 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday, Dec. 7, Serena High School, 2283 N. 3812 Road, Serena.
• Noon to 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 18, Illinois Valley Chapter Donation Center, 1530 Fourth St., Peru.