The postal carrier delivered the mail shortly after a fire Thursday morning at 1334 E. Maple Lane in Marseilles.
Fire department personnel said the homeowner was fortunate the fire was caught so quickly, limiting the damage to just the kitchen and allowing the family to stay there.
At about 10:54 a.m., a neighbor reported flames coming from the back of the home where the kitchen was located. Nobody was home at the time. Firefighters had the fire knocked out in about 10 minutes and contained it to an area near the kitchen sink, said Marseilles Fire Chief Mick Garrison.
The cause was determined to be accidental in nature, Garrison said.
The utilities still are usable. No one was injured.